New Islington housing leader promises to protect council homes
- Credit: Archant
Islington Council this morning announced Cllr Diarmaid Ward as its new housing chief.
He replaces James Murray, who last week joined Mayor of London Sadiq Khan to become City Hall’s deputy mayor for housing.
Cllr Ward joins the Islington executive at a time when the council is working on its biggest house-building programme in 30 years.
He said: “I am very excited about my new post, and look forward to the challenge of continuing the excellent work already happening in Islington.
“Like most of London, Islington faces a housing crisis. We are building new council homes, but also face huge challenges from the government’s new Housing and Planning Act, which will put our council housing under even more pressure.
“I will work hard to deliver the genuinely affordable housing Islington needs, and to protect council housing. I will also support private renters in Islington to help make sure they have decent places to live, and are treated fairly.”
Originally from Co Tyrone, Northern Ireland, Cllr Ward has lived in Islington for six years. He was elected onto the authority in 2014 as a councillor for the Holloway ward.
- 1 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 2 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 3 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 4 Polio virus found in Islington sewage
- 5 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 6 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 'Extremely distressing': Council leader's shock after Highbury Fields stabbing
- 9 Hospital trust increasingly reliant on international medical staff
- 10 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
Before today’s appointment, he worked as a legal aid solicitor specialising in criminal defence, and was a member of the duty solicitor scheme at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court.