New Islington housing leader promises to protect council homes
- Credit: Archant
Islington Council this morning announced Cllr Diarmaid Ward as its new housing chief.
He replaces James Murray, who last week joined Mayor of London Sadiq Khan to become City Hall’s deputy mayor for housing.
Cllr Ward joins the Islington executive at a time when the council is working on its biggest house-building programme in 30 years.
He said: “I am very excited about my new post, and look forward to the challenge of continuing the excellent work already happening in Islington.
“Like most of London, Islington faces a housing crisis. We are building new council homes, but also face huge challenges from the government’s new Housing and Planning Act, which will put our council housing under even more pressure.
You may also want to watch:
“I will work hard to deliver the genuinely affordable housing Islington needs, and to protect council housing. I will also support private renters in Islington to help make sure they have decent places to live, and are treated fairly.”
Originally from Co Tyrone, Northern Ireland, Cllr Ward has lived in Islington for six years. He was elected onto the authority in 2014 as a councillor for the Holloway ward.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
Before today’s appointment, he worked as a legal aid solicitor specialising in criminal defence, and was a member of the duty solicitor scheme at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court.