New Islington housing leader promises to protect council homes
- Credit: Archant
Islington Council this morning announced Cllr Diarmaid Ward as its new housing chief.
He replaces James Murray, who last week joined Mayor of London Sadiq Khan to become City Hall’s deputy mayor for housing.
Cllr Ward joins the Islington executive at a time when the council is working on its biggest house-building programme in 30 years.
He said: “I am very excited about my new post, and look forward to the challenge of continuing the excellent work already happening in Islington.
“Like most of London, Islington faces a housing crisis. We are building new council homes, but also face huge challenges from the government’s new Housing and Planning Act, which will put our council housing under even more pressure.
You may also want to watch:
“I will work hard to deliver the genuinely affordable housing Islington needs, and to protect council housing. I will also support private renters in Islington to help make sure they have decent places to live, and are treated fairly.”
Originally from Co Tyrone, Northern Ireland, Cllr Ward has lived in Islington for six years. He was elected onto the authority in 2014 as a councillor for the Holloway ward.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 5 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 6 Why Arsenal's Leah Williamson is perfect England captain?
- 7 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 10 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
Before today’s appointment, he worked as a legal aid solicitor specialising in criminal defence, and was a member of the duty solicitor scheme at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court.