Night Tube: ‘Nothing but positives’ expected for Islington economy ahead of Victoria line launch
- Credit: PA WIRE
Islington Chamber of Commerce expects “nothing but positives” for the borough’s evening economy when the Night Tube finally launches next Friday.
Hak Huseyin, vice-chairman of the business interest group, believes Upper Street in particular will thrive from a 24-hour Underground service.
The Victoria line, incorporating Highbury & Islington – as well as King’s Cross St Pancras and Finsbury Park – will be the first Night Tube to launch.
The Northern (Angel) and Piccadilly (Holloway Road) lines will follow in the autumn.
“We are expecting nothing but positives for the area,” Mr Huseyin said this morning.
You may also want to watch:
“It will obviously make going back and forth a lot easier: the impact hopefully being that people will spend more money in Islington.
“There will also be more flexibility for staff, and employers should be able to offer more hours.”
- 1 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 2 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
He now expects bars and restaurants to apply for longer hours: “With rent and business rates being as expensive as they are in Islington, they may see it as an opportunity to meet those costs and take more money.
“If I was a restaurant or bar owner, I would be jumping at this chance.”
He added: “Some people might not be too happy at bars being open until the early hours, and anti-social behaviour could be an issue.
“But from my experiences of, for example, Upper Street at night, it is very well managed.”