Night Tube: ‘Nothing but positives’ expected for Islington economy ahead of Victoria line launch
- Credit: PA WIRE
Islington Chamber of Commerce expects “nothing but positives” for the borough’s evening economy when the Night Tube finally launches next Friday.
Hak Huseyin, vice-chairman of the business interest group, believes Upper Street in particular will thrive from a 24-hour Underground service.
The Victoria line, incorporating Highbury & Islington – as well as King’s Cross St Pancras and Finsbury Park – will be the first Night Tube to launch.
The Northern (Angel) and Piccadilly (Holloway Road) lines will follow in the autumn.
“We are expecting nothing but positives for the area,” Mr Huseyin said this morning.
You may also want to watch:
“It will obviously make going back and forth a lot easier: the impact hopefully being that people will spend more money in Islington.
“There will also be more flexibility for staff, and employers should be able to offer more hours.”
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 4 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 5 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 6 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 7 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 10 Hundreds are heirs to an estate and may not even know
He now expects bars and restaurants to apply for longer hours: “With rent and business rates being as expensive as they are in Islington, they may see it as an opportunity to meet those costs and take more money.
“If I was a restaurant or bar owner, I would be jumping at this chance.”
He added: “Some people might not be too happy at bars being open until the early hours, and anti-social behaviour could be an issue.
“But from my experiences of, for example, Upper Street at night, it is very well managed.”