Nketiah hits treble in Arsenal friendly win
- Credit: PA
Eddie Nketiah hit a hat-trick as Arsenal beat Charlton Athletic 6-0 in a friendly at Emirates Stadium on Saturday.
Coaching staff from both sides officiated the behind closed doors clash, with the Gunners getting their noses in front with a stunning strike from Alexandre Lacazette.
The Frenchman drilled home a shot from just outside the box after Ainsley Maitland-Niles nodded a long ball from David Luiz into his path but Bernd Leno had to make a superb save to his right to keep out a downward header and deny the visitors an equaliser.
Reiss Nelson and Maitland-Niles had shots saved before Kieran Tierney picked out Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang on the left and he curled home a second Arsenal goal before half-time from the corner of the box.
And it was 3-0 after the restart when Nketiah touched home a Dani Ceballos free-kick from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Nketiah ran on to a pass from Sokratis to slot home his second and Arsenal’s fourth, then headed home a Joe Willock cross from inside the six-yard box to complete his treble.
Nicolas Pepe went close with a curling free-kick, before Willock swept home a first-time shot from the edge of the box to round off the scoring towards the end as head coach Mikel Arteta gave most members of his squad the chance to get 45 minutes under their belt.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
Arsenal (first half): Leno, Bellerin, Mustaif, Daivd Luiz, Tierney, Guendouzi, Maitland-Niles, Nelson, Ozil, Aubameyang, Lacazette.
(second half): Martinez, Sokratis, Holding, Mari, Kolasinac, Ceballos, Xhaka, Pepe, Willock, Martinelli, Nketiah.