Nominate your local heroes for the Mayor’s Civic Awards 2016
- Credit: Archant
Islington Council is asking residents of the borough to nominate their unsung heroes for the Mayor’s Civic and Ben Kinsella Awards.
The annual awards are held in order to celebrate those who have made an outstanding contribution to life in the borough.
The Mayor’s Civic Awards are for adults while young people are recognised with the Ben Kinsella award, in honour of the young man who was tragically stabbed to death in 2008, at the age of just 16.
Nominations for the award can be from anyone and can include family members or carers, charity, local entrepreneurs and employers, or neighbours.
Last year’s awards were held at Islington assembly hall, on Upper Street, and featured some of the boroughs most outstanding residents.
You may also want to watch:
Among last year’s Mayor’s Civic Award winners included award-winning boxing coach Lenny Hagland, who started off at the Islington Boxing Club when it first began in 1974; David Dade, who re-introduced the Poppy Appeal in 2014 on behalf of the Islington Veterans’ Association; and Dennis Kleinburg, who has led both the Whitbread Tenant Management Organisation and Tenant & Residents Management Organisation for the past 40 years.
The Ben Kinsella Award was won by Keeley Timms, a “model student” at City of London Academy, for her “inspirational” impact upon younger students.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 3 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 4 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 5 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 6 Former Islington BC Slavisa Gegic fighter visits his old club
- 7 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 8 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 9 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 10 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
Deputy Mayor of Islington, Cllr Kat Fletcher, said: “Everybody knows someone in their lives who goes the extra mile to help others and make Islington a better place, or a young person who exemplifies the best we can be.
“The Civic Awards and the Ben Kinsella Award are fantastic opportunities to say thank you to these inspirational people, who brighten the lives and futures of others and reflect the best of Islington.
“If you would like to see an unsung hero you know recognised and celebrated, then please get your nominations in before the deadline.”
The closing date for all nominations is Friday, January 22 2016.
To nominate click here.