Nominations open for mayor of Stroud Green
- Credit: Archant
Roll up, roll up, Stroud Green is looking for a new mayor – or to give it its proper title, Mayor of the Ancient Corporation of Stroud Green.
The election will take place at The Stapleton Tavern in Crouch Hill on Saturday as part of “Stroud Green Day”, celebrating the area’s history.
It will remember the Ancient Corporation of Stroud Green, a group who met in the pub in 1773 and elected Sir Thomas Legg as mayor. They also wrote the official Stroud Green Song, which will be performed for the first time in 246 years on Saturday.
Stroud Green Gin, made according to Sir Thomas Legg’s recipe, will be on sale, and Ancient Corporation lapel badges will also be up for grabs.
Names will be drawn from a hat and candidates will get five minutes to say, sing, slur or shout why they should be elected. A secret ballot will ensue before the mayor is crowned at 8pm (barring recounts).
You may also want to watch:
To nominate yourself or someone else, email email@example.com or write the name on the pub’s blackboard.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'