Nominations open for mayor of Stroud Green
- Credit: Archant
Roll up, roll up, Stroud Green is looking for a new mayor – or to give it its proper title, Mayor of the Ancient Corporation of Stroud Green.
The election will take place at The Stapleton Tavern in Crouch Hill on Saturday as part of “Stroud Green Day”, celebrating the area’s history.
It will remember the Ancient Corporation of Stroud Green, a group who met in the pub in 1773 and elected Sir Thomas Legg as mayor. They also wrote the official Stroud Green Song, which will be performed for the first time in 246 years on Saturday.
Stroud Green Gin, made according to Sir Thomas Legg’s recipe, will be on sale, and Ancient Corporation lapel badges will also be up for grabs.
Names will be drawn from a hat and candidates will get five minutes to say, sing, slur or shout why they should be elected. A secret ballot will ensue before the mayor is crowned at 8pm (barring recounts).
You may also want to watch:
To nominate yourself or someone else, email email@example.com or write the name on the pub’s blackboard.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Islington district suffer heavy defeat to Greenwich in Lester Finch Trophy
- 10 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition