Nominations open for mayor of Stroud Green
- Credit: Archant
Roll up, roll up, Stroud Green is looking for a new mayor – or to give it its proper title, Mayor of the Ancient Corporation of Stroud Green.
The election will take place at The Stapleton Tavern in Crouch Hill on Saturday as part of “Stroud Green Day”, celebrating the area’s history.
It will remember the Ancient Corporation of Stroud Green, a group who met in the pub in 1773 and elected Sir Thomas Legg as mayor. They also wrote the official Stroud Green Song, which will be performed for the first time in 246 years on Saturday.
Stroud Green Gin, made according to Sir Thomas Legg’s recipe, will be on sale, and Ancient Corporation lapel badges will also be up for grabs.
Names will be drawn from a hat and candidates will get five minutes to say, sing, slur or shout why they should be elected. A secret ballot will ensue before the mayor is crowned at 8pm (barring recounts).
To nominate yourself or someone else, email email@example.com or write the name on the pub’s blackboard.
- 1 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 2 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 3 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 6 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 7 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 8 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 9 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 10 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run