North London’s opening-day defeat is Bess forgotten
Nitin Modha’s six-wicket haul proved fatal for North London as they slid to a three-wicket defeat in their low-scoring encounter with Bessborough in Division Three of the Middlesex County Cricket League.
Asked to bat first, NL were shot out for 141, with Modha returning 6-56 – and that proved too low a total for the visitors to defend as Bessborough scraped home.
Rich Hall marked his return to the club with a solid 25 as he and Hussain Shabbir (19) guided North London to 47-1 – but, once both had fallen to Modha, the visitors lost wickets at regular intervals.
Captain Jack Atchinson batted doggedly for 28 before he was stumped off Modha and NL needed contributions from tailenders Tom Wakeford (12), Freddie Issitt (9 not out) and Maaz Haffeji (8) to reach 141.
Josh Pieters (3-36) collected two early wickets when Bessborough replied, but Kushal Patel’s innings of 77 kept the home side on course for victory.
You may also want to watch:
Patel eventually became Pieters’ third victim, while Rosh Tennakoon (3-18) induced a middle-order collapse, but it was too late to save NL as Hemmen Jutla (8no) steered Bessborough across the line.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
- 10 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington