North London’s opening-day defeat is Bess forgotten
Nitin Modha’s six-wicket haul proved fatal for North London as they slid to a three-wicket defeat in their low-scoring encounter with Bessborough in Division Three of the Middlesex County Cricket League.
Asked to bat first, NL were shot out for 141, with Modha returning 6-56 – and that proved too low a total for the visitors to defend as Bessborough scraped home.
Rich Hall marked his return to the club with a solid 25 as he and Hussain Shabbir (19) guided North London to 47-1 – but, once both had fallen to Modha, the visitors lost wickets at regular intervals.
Captain Jack Atchinson batted doggedly for 28 before he was stumped off Modha and NL needed contributions from tailenders Tom Wakeford (12), Freddie Issitt (9 not out) and Maaz Haffeji (8) to reach 141.
Josh Pieters (3-36) collected two early wickets when Bessborough replied, but Kushal Patel’s innings of 77 kept the home side on course for victory.
Patel eventually became Pieters’ third victim, while Rosh Tennakoon (3-18) induced a middle-order collapse, but it was too late to save NL as Hemmen Jutla (8no) steered Bessborough across the line.
- 1 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 2 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 3 Replacement Finsbury Park leisure centre a step closer
- 4 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 5 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL
- 6 Former Met cop faces trial with seven others over alleged bribery plot
- 7 Deadline extended for Islington's greener futures fund
- 8 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 9 Incinerator protest group WhatsApp infiltrated by waste authority member
- 10 Arsenal Women welcome signings Souza, Blackstenius and Wienroither