Offord Road flooding: Homes damaged and Caledonian Road closed due to burst pipe
- Credit: Archant
Dozens of firefighters have this morning been dealing with a burst water main in Offord Road that has resulted in flood-hit properties and rush-hour road closures.
Water has been streaming down into Caledonian Road, which has been taped off between Wheelwright Street and Copenhagen Street.
Basements are said to be damaged by water and people are being evacuated from their homes.
Six fire engines and 40 firefighters from Islington, Euston, Shoreditch, Soho and other surrounding stations are trying to stop other properties being flooded.
Hundreds of homes in Islington and Holloway are said to be without water and Thames Water is now investigating.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement on Twitter, the water firm said: “We’re aware some customers in N1 and N7 are experiencing no water/low pressure. This is due to a burst water main on Offord Road.”
An Islington Council spokesperson said: “We’ve been working this morning with the fire brigade, police and Thames Water to help deal with a water leak in Offord Road.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
“We’ve been laying sandbags, closed some local roads at the request of police and now we are bringing fresh drinking water to vulnerable people living nearby.”