Offord Road flooding: Homes damaged and Caledonian Road closed due to burst pipe
- Credit: Archant
Dozens of firefighters have this morning been dealing with a burst water main in Offord Road that has resulted in flood-hit properties and rush-hour road closures.
Water has been streaming down into Caledonian Road, which has been taped off between Wheelwright Street and Copenhagen Street.
Basements are said to be damaged by water and people are being evacuated from their homes.
Six fire engines and 40 firefighters from Islington, Euston, Shoreditch, Soho and other surrounding stations are trying to stop other properties being flooded.
Hundreds of homes in Islington and Holloway are said to be without water and Thames Water is now investigating.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement on Twitter, the water firm said: “We’re aware some customers in N1 and N7 are experiencing no water/low pressure. This is due to a burst water main on Offord Road.”
An Islington Council spokesperson said: “We’ve been working this morning with the fire brigade, police and Thames Water to help deal with a water leak in Offord Road.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 3 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
“We’ve been laying sandbags, closed some local roads at the request of police and now we are bringing fresh drinking water to vulnerable people living nearby.”