Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey on beating Spurs in the North London derby: ‘It means an awful lot to me’
- Credit: Picture: MARTYN HAWORTH
Aaron Ramsey has been speaking after Arsenal’s dramatic 4-2 victory over Spurs in the North London derby at a raucous Emirates on Sunday. Read on for the full transcript of what he said.
On making a difference from the bench…
I think a lot of our subs this season have come on and made an impact. It was important again today. We started well in the first half, we then had a little stutter but we dug in and in the second half we won pretty convincingly.
On letting Tottenham back into the game…
I’m not sure exactly what when on when we were on the touchline but the two teams came together and then they scored. Whatever happens on the pitch stays on the pitch, but we were pretty concentrated on coming back after that and winning the game.
You may also want to watch:
On the instructions he received when coming on…
I was trying to play in between the lines, trying to pull the team forward, turning in little areas and we have some strikers who are in great form at the moment. It’s easy to pick out their runs and most of the time they put the ball in the back of the net. I’m happy with the way that I performed and the way that the team performed as well.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 5 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 6 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
On the build-up to Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s second…
It was unbelievable but he does that in training all the time. He just eases the ball into the corners but with pace as well. It reminds me of Thierry Henry’s finishes, so he has that in the locker. He’s been fabulous for us.
On that changing things mentally…
Yeah I think that as important for us to score that goal. Then you could really feel that the atmosphere was electric. That really helped us to get over the line and win convincingly in the end.
On what it means to beat Tottenham…
I’ve been here now for many, many years so it means an awful lot to me and the fans as well. I’m just glad I could play my part and we can all go home happy tonight.
Ramsey was speaking to Arsenal.com.
For all your latest Arsenal news follow Layth on Twitter @laythy29