Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey on beating Spurs in the North London derby: ‘It means an awful lot to me’
- Credit: Picture: MARTYN HAWORTH
Aaron Ramsey has been speaking after Arsenal’s dramatic 4-2 victory over Spurs in the North London derby at a raucous Emirates on Sunday. Read on for the full transcript of what he said.
On making a difference from the bench…
I think a lot of our subs this season have come on and made an impact. It was important again today. We started well in the first half, we then had a little stutter but we dug in and in the second half we won pretty convincingly.
On letting Tottenham back into the game…
I’m not sure exactly what when on when we were on the touchline but the two teams came together and then they scored. Whatever happens on the pitch stays on the pitch, but we were pretty concentrated on coming back after that and winning the game.
You may also want to watch:
On the instructions he received when coming on…
I was trying to play in between the lines, trying to pull the team forward, turning in little areas and we have some strikers who are in great form at the moment. It’s easy to pick out their runs and most of the time they put the ball in the back of the net. I’m happy with the way that I performed and the way that the team performed as well.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 10 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
On the build-up to Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s second…
It was unbelievable but he does that in training all the time. He just eases the ball into the corners but with pace as well. It reminds me of Thierry Henry’s finishes, so he has that in the locker. He’s been fabulous for us.
On that changing things mentally…
Yeah I think that as important for us to score that goal. Then you could really feel that the atmosphere was electric. That really helped us to get over the line and win convincingly in the end.
On what it means to beat Tottenham…
I’ve been here now for many, many years so it means an awful lot to me and the fans as well. I’m just glad I could play my part and we can all go home happy tonight.
Ramsey was speaking to Arsenal.com.
For all your latest Arsenal news follow Layth on Twitter @laythy29