Moped phone snatches: Man, 23, arrested and moped, phones, drugs and cash seized in Canonbury dawn raid
- Credit: Archant
Cops arrested a man and seized 10 mobile phones thought to have been stolen in moped snatches in a dawn swoop.
Cash amounting to about £1,500, 24 bags of cannabis and a moped fitted with false number plates were also recovered from an address in Rotherfield Street, Canonbury.
The 23-year-old was arrested on suspicion of breaching a court order, handling stolen goods, money laundering, and possession with intent to supply a Class B drug.
Although no knives were recovered, yesterday’s raid was part of Operation Sceptre – the Met’s crackdown on knife crime.
Between 2015 and 2016 there were 303 male victims of knife crime under the age of 24 in Islington – substantially higher than the 217 in neighbouring Camden, but below Haringey and Hackney on 523 and 359.
You may also want to watch:
Det Supt Sean Yates said: “Operations like this are essential for reassuring the public that we are clamping down on knife crime.”
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 3 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 4 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 7 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 8 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 9 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 10 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes