Moped phone snatches: Man, 23, arrested and moped, phones, drugs and cash seized in Canonbury dawn raid
- Credit: Archant
Cops arrested a man and seized 10 mobile phones thought to have been stolen in moped snatches in a dawn swoop.
Cash amounting to about £1,500, 24 bags of cannabis and a moped fitted with false number plates were also recovered from an address in Rotherfield Street, Canonbury.
The 23-year-old was arrested on suspicion of breaching a court order, handling stolen goods, money laundering, and possession with intent to supply a Class B drug.
Although no knives were recovered, yesterday’s raid was part of Operation Sceptre – the Met’s crackdown on knife crime.
Between 2015 and 2016 there were 303 male victims of knife crime under the age of 24 in Islington – substantially higher than the 217 in neighbouring Camden, but below Haringey and Hackney on 523 and 359.
You may also want to watch:
Det Supt Sean Yates said: “Operations like this are essential for reassuring the public that we are clamping down on knife crime.”
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting