Ospina: Arsenal must concentrate on beating QPR rather than catching Manchester City
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
David Ospina says Arsenal must stay focused on their own performances rather than straining to chase down second-placed Manchester City.
The Gunners’ 2-0 victory over Everton on Sunday took them to within four points of the Premier League champions, whose hopes of retaining their title took a knock after their 2-1 defeat at Liverpool.
However, the Arsenal goalkeeper feels his side, who travel across London to meet QPR on Wednesday – while City host Leicester – should not pay too much attention to the fortunes of their rivals.
“We know we are close to them now but we need to concentrate on ourselves and not think about them,” said Ospina. “We will keep doing our job, picking up points and then see what happens.
“It’s game after game and every game is important. Now we are already thinking about the next one, which is QPR.”
You may also want to watch:
Sunday’s success – the Gunners’ third Premier League victory in a row – came as a welcome relief after their Champions League slump four days earlier, when they lost 3-1 at home to Monaco in the first leg of their last 16 clash.
“We were not nervous, we were sad after the Monaco result but in football you have to pick yourselves up quickly,” added Ospina. “It was a great way to show that we had done that.
- 1 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 2 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Families of WW2 veterans join Jeremy Corbyn in presenting plaque
- 8 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
“We knew that we faced a tough examination. The only thing that was important was to win the big game to continue increasing our confidence and keeping heading up the league.”