Packington Estate redevelopment: Ribbon cut on new park Canalside Square
- Credit: Archant
A new park on the Regent’s Canal is the latest chapter in the £170million makeover of the Packington Estate.
Canalside Square, whose centrepiece is a nature-themed mosaic designed by Islington artist Tessa Hunkin, was formally opened on Friday last week by council environment chief Cllr Claudia Webbe.
“This is a fantastic new space for local families and communities, providing them an excellent footway to the canal,” she said.
“We look forward to it becoming as loved and well used as Islington’s other open spaces.”
The park is a collaboration between the town hall, housing association Hyde Housing, and development firms Rydon and Atkins.
You may also want to watch:
The estate project began in 2007 following the transfer of all its council housing to Hyde. Nearly 800 homes have been built there to replace the 538 originally on the site, including nearly 500 at “below market cost”.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 3 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 4 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 £1.5m revamp of Stroud Green Primary School given go-ahead
- 7 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
- 8 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 9 'Holborn isn't the only dangerous junction for cyclists and pedestrians'
- 10 Arsenal’s Beth Mead named in WSL team of the week