Packington Estate redevelopment: Ribbon cut on new park Canalside Square
- Credit: Archant
A new park on the Regent’s Canal is the latest chapter in the £170million makeover of the Packington Estate.
Canalside Square, whose centrepiece is a nature-themed mosaic designed by Islington artist Tessa Hunkin, was formally opened on Friday last week by council environment chief Cllr Claudia Webbe.
“This is a fantastic new space for local families and communities, providing them an excellent footway to the canal,” she said.
“We look forward to it becoming as loved and well used as Islington’s other open spaces.”
The park is a collaboration between the town hall, housing association Hyde Housing, and development firms Rydon and Atkins.
You may also want to watch:
The estate project began in 2007 following the transfer of all its council housing to Hyde. Nearly 800 homes have been built there to replace the 538 originally on the site, including nearly 500 at “below market cost”.
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Islington is getting a big name restaurant
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting