Pappeo club in Islington under fire for all night parties
�A wine and cocktail bar has been accused of staging all night clubbing parties without permission.
Pappeo Club in Caledonian Road is allowed to stay open until 2am on Friday and Saturday and has a licence for banqueting events such as weddings, meetings and conferences.
Paul Convery, Islington Council’s executive member for planning and regeneration, claimed it is operating as a nightclub at weekends, staying open way beyond 2am and causing concerns over noise and the disorder with drunken revellers.
He added: “This club is just not playing by the rules.”
One resident, who lives nearby Pappeo, said: “The visitors can be extremely rowdy in what is a largely residential area with many families and young children.
You may also want to watch:
“I am concerned about the violence it brings to the neighbourhood with people regularly getting into fist fights. In one incident men were fighting with timber which is not what you want at 3am.”
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 3 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
- 4 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 5 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 6 Upper Street chef raises money for St Vincent volcano victims
- 7 Islington Boxing Club receives a major boost in fundraising campaign
- 8 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Trial halted after Extinction Rebellion protester glues himself to the dock
A DJ face-off at Pappeo planned on Friday August 12 which was advertised through the social networking site Facebook was cancelled after the police and council threatened the club with a closure order from Highbury Magistrates’ Court.
A police spokeswoman said: “Officers had a number of concerns about Pappeos holding the event. More than 3,000 people had been invited to a music night when the venue is only licensed to admit a maximum of 240 people. Officers also advised the owner to reconsider given recent disorder across London.”
A spokesman for Islington Council said: “There are restrictions on their planning permission which is for a cafe and bar Monday to Saturday. A noise notice has been served and we’ll continue to monitor the club and review what action we need to take.”
Pappeo, which hosts salsa, jazz and live mic nights, includes three floors, two halls and more than 6000sq ft of floor space.
No one from the club was available to comment.