Parents celebrate New Year babies at the Whittington Hospital
- Credit: Archant
New Year will have been an anti-climax for many across Islington – but parents at the Whittington Hospital’s maternity ward created a memory they will never forget.
Midwives at the Whittington in Magdala Avenue, Highgate, delivered 10 newborns on New Years Day – more than three times the number delivered on January 1 last year.
Hashim Shariff and his wife Hana welcomed a new baby girl in to the world at 4.46am.
The couple are yet to name the 7lb (3.2kg) bundle of joy who joins their 16-month-old son at their home in Basire Street, Highbury.
A very tired Mr Shariff, 23, said: “We’re very happy, I love my new daughter very much and she has settled down now and taken to breast feeding.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re currently trying to decide between two names for her.”
The first baby to be born at the Whittington in 2014 was little Jannah Samad, 5.5lb (2.45kg), who was brought in to the world at 12.10am.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 5 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 6 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 7 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 8 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 9 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 10 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
Her parents Saira and Abdul were over the moon with their third daughter and said Jannah’s sisters Namira, six, and Mya, two, were excited about having a new member of the family to play with.
Mrs Samad said: “She’s very calm and is sleeping lots, not like my second daughter who was crying all the time.
“Everything went really well and to plan and the hospital was brilliant. I’ve had all of my girls here and the nurses are very experienced and lovely.
“New Year will always be very special to us now.”