Parents celebrate New Year babies at the Whittington Hospital
- Credit: Archant
New Year will have been an anti-climax for many across Islington – but parents at the Whittington Hospital’s maternity ward created a memory they will never forget.
Midwives at the Whittington in Magdala Avenue, Highgate, delivered 10 newborns on New Years Day – more than three times the number delivered on January 1 last year.
Hashim Shariff and his wife Hana welcomed a new baby girl in to the world at 4.46am.
The couple are yet to name the 7lb (3.2kg) bundle of joy who joins their 16-month-old son at their home in Basire Street, Highbury.
A very tired Mr Shariff, 23, said: “We’re very happy, I love my new daughter very much and she has settled down now and taken to breast feeding.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re currently trying to decide between two names for her.”
The first baby to be born at the Whittington in 2014 was little Jannah Samad, 5.5lb (2.45kg), who was brought in to the world at 12.10am.
- 1 'This is the end of my political career': Richard Watts stands down
- 2 WATCH: Air ambulance called to Islington flat fire
- 3 Richard Watts to stand down as leader of Islington Council
- 4 Islington mental health charity Clubhouse gets £225,000 funding boost
- 5 Police force entry to alleged Islington 'house party' amid pandemic
- 6 Three strikes and you're out: Jail term for drug dealer
- 7 Meet Islington Boxing Club's new coaches
- 8 The Mall: Mystery surrounds incoming Upper Street supermarket identity
- 9 MP broke rules with late declaration of Islington payments, report finds
- 10 Islington landlord licence scheme goes live to try protect renters' rights
Her parents Saira and Abdul were over the moon with their third daughter and said Jannah’s sisters Namira, six, and Mya, two, were excited about having a new member of the family to play with.
Mrs Samad said: “She’s very calm and is sleeping lots, not like my second daughter who was crying all the time.
“Everything went really well and to plan and the hospital was brilliant. I’ve had all of my girls here and the nurses are very experienced and lovely.
“New Year will always be very special to us now.”