Search

Part of Archway house destroyed in fire caused by cigarette

PUBLISHED: 11:57 06 March 2018 | UPDATED: 16:28 06 March 2018

Part of the property in Witley Road, Archway, was destroyed by the blaze. Picture: London Fire Brigade/Twitter

Part of the property in Witley Road, Archway, was destroyed by the blaze. Picture: London Fire Brigade/Twitter

Archant

A badly discarded cigarette destroyed part of a house in Archway yesterday afternoon.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters were called to the fire in Witley Road just before 3pm.

Half of the first floor of the property was damaged by fire.

Two people evacuated the house before the Brigade arrived. One person was treated at the scene and one was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service, both suffering from smoke inhalation.

It took the firefighters about an hour to bring under control. The Brigade said the fire was caused by the unsafe disposal of a cigarette into a bin

A spokesperson said: “We’d rather you didn’t smoke at all, but if you are a smoker, it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Islington Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Islington Gazette