Part of Archway house destroyed in fire caused by cigarette
- Credit: Archant
A badly discarded cigarette destroyed part of a house in Archway yesterday afternoon.
Four fire engines and 21 firefighters were called to the fire in Witley Road just before 3pm.
Half of the first floor of the property was damaged by fire.
Two people evacuated the house before the Brigade arrived. One person was treated at the scene and one was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service, both suffering from smoke inhalation.
It took the firefighters about an hour to bring under control. The Brigade said the fire was caused by the unsafe disposal of a cigarette into a bin
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson said: “We’d rather you didn’t smoke at all, but if you are a smoker, it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.
“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 3 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 4 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 5 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 6 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 7 Spot tiny art 'gems' along The Parkland Walk
- 8 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 9 Author inspired by Highbury for debut sci-fi novel about aliens
- 10 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack