Pemberton Gardens street party helps bring neighbours together
- Credit: Archant
A street party held to help people get to know their neighbours at the weekend was a “great success,” according to the organiser.
An all day BBQ, a DJ, a hair and nail bar and a circus workshop were just some of the events on offer in Pemberton Gardens in Archway on Saturday, with locals all chipping in to bring the party together.
The get-together was held as part of ‘the big lunch’ initiative, which seeks to “get as many people as possible across the whole of the UK to have lunch with their neighbours in a simple act of community, friendship and fun.”
And organiser Yvette Daniel, of Pemberton Gardens, said that’s exactly what the event achieved.
“The feedback we got at the end of the day was fantastic,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“We were really happy with how everything went. People were kind enough to bring food from home, neighbours met who had never met before. A lot of the kids here go to different schools and don’t necessarily know each other, but they were in and out of each others houses playing games. It was a great day.”
Around one hundred people attended the event throughout the day, with locals staying and chatting out the front of their houses well into the evening.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 3 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 4 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 7 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 10 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
To find out more about ‘the big lunch’, visit http://www.thebiglunch.com/