Pensioner dies after Islington cab collision
A pensioner died in hospital last night after a fatal collision with a black cab in Islington.
The 79-year-old was rushed to hospital following the accident at the junction of Upper Street and Almeida Street at around 1.10pm on Monday.
Police and ambulance crews were called to the scene and the 63-year-old male driver of the taxi was stopped at the scene, but not arrested.
A member of staff at Dinny Hall jewellers in Upper Street who asked not to be named, said: “The taxi driver looked visibly shocked.
“That crossing is dangerous anyway. Something needs to be done. It might be good if there were traffic lights because there are car accidents all the time.
You may also want to watch:
“You only have to watch it for five minutes to see the danger.”
The victims next of kin have been informed, but she has not been formally identified.
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 9 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
A post-mortem is due to take place today (Friday).
Police are appealing fro witnesses to the collision - anyone with information can call DC Rob Simpson on 0208 998 5319.