Pensioner dies after Islington cab collision
A pensioner died in hospital last night after a fatal collision with a black cab in Islington.
The 79-year-old was rushed to hospital following the accident at the junction of Upper Street and Almeida Street at around 1.10pm on Monday.
Police and ambulance crews were called to the scene and the 63-year-old male driver of the taxi was stopped at the scene, but not arrested.
A member of staff at Dinny Hall jewellers in Upper Street who asked not to be named, said: “The taxi driver looked visibly shocked.
“That crossing is dangerous anyway. Something needs to be done. It might be good if there were traffic lights because there are car accidents all the time.
You may also want to watch:
“You only have to watch it for five minutes to see the danger.”
The victims next of kin have been informed, but she has not been formally identified.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 5 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 6 Why Arsenal's Leah Williamson is perfect England captain?
- 7 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 10 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
A post-mortem is due to take place today (Friday).
Police are appealing fro witnesses to the collision - anyone with information can call DC Rob Simpson on 0208 998 5319.