Pentonville death: Second prisoner on murder charge over killing of fellow inmate Jamal Mahmoud
- Credit: Archant
A second Pentonville prisoner was yesterday charged with murder after the fatal stabbing of fellow inmate Jamal Mahmoud last month.
Robert Butler, 30, was the third person to be arrested after the killing on October 18. Basana Kimbembi, 34, of no fixed abode, was charged three days after Mr Mahmoud’s death, while a second man has been released from police custody without charge and returned to the Caledonian Road prison.
Kimbembi will appear at the Old Bailey in January.
Mr Mahmoud, 21, was jailed for six and a half years in July after being convicted of hiding a loaded Skorpion machine gun and ammunition in a garden in Enfield the previous July. He was already serving five-and-a-half years in prison for a separate robbery.
He had recently become a father.
You may also want to watch:
A manhunt is under way after two men, including attempted murderer James Whitlock, escaped from the jail after reportedly stowing pillows in their beds and cutting through their cell bars.
Additional reporting by PA
- 1 Islington shooting victim named
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 5 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 6 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine