Pentonville death: Second prisoner on murder charge over killing of fellow inmate Jamal Mahmoud
- Credit: Archant
A second Pentonville prisoner was yesterday charged with murder after the fatal stabbing of fellow inmate Jamal Mahmoud last month.
Robert Butler, 30, was the third person to be arrested after the killing on October 18. Basana Kimbembi, 34, of no fixed abode, was charged three days after Mr Mahmoud’s death, while a second man has been released from police custody without charge and returned to the Caledonian Road prison.
Kimbembi will appear at the Old Bailey in January.
Mr Mahmoud, 21, was jailed for six and a half years in July after being convicted of hiding a loaded Skorpion machine gun and ammunition in a garden in Enfield the previous July. He was already serving five-and-a-half years in prison for a separate robbery.
He had recently become a father.
You may also want to watch:
A manhunt is under way after two men, including attempted murderer James Whitlock, escaped from the jail after reportedly stowing pillows in their beds and cutting through their cell bars.
Additional reporting by PA
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 3 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’