Andover Estate fire: Woman dies and people evacuated from blazing Finsbury Park building
- Credit: Archant
A person has died and people are being evacuated from a flaming building in Finsbury Park’s Andover Estate.
Police were called at 12:41pm, following reports of a fire in a residential building in Mingard Walk.
The London Fire Brigade and London Ambulance Service were also scrambled to the scene.
A Met Police spokesperson said: "Residents are being evacuated.
One [woman] has been pronounced dead.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire will be investigated."
Another person has been taken to hospital for treatment - their condition is not yet known.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 3 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 8 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
A bystander told the Gazette they saw a "person brought out onto the balcony" from "family-sized flat" who "wasn't moving".
Lucy Brown, who lives in a flat opposite the estate, told the Gazette: "I can see two fire engines, four ambulances and a few police cars. We have been told by one of the firefighters that someone's died and someone else is critical but we don't know anything what caused it [the fire].
"Looking out of the window, I just saw a stretcher - they put someone in an ambulance.
"Originally I looked out of the window and only saw one fire engine. My boyfriend is a firefighter [off-duty today], so I said: 'What's happening?'
"There was smoke coming from a flat in the Andover Estate, on the other side of the building.
"I never saw any flames, just smoke. I'm really confused. I feel like there's a lot of police cars."
This page is being updated...
Have you been evacuated from the Andover Estate? Did you see what happened? Contact Lucas at the Gazette newsdesk on 07785 616244 or email email@example.com