Photographer Claudia Janke’s Packing up Packington exhibition to open tomorrow
- Credit: Claudia Janke
An international photographer will be showcasing her new exhibition which highlights the human story of urban regeneration in an Islington estate.
A unique photography and sound installation by Claudia Janke, a German-born London-based photographer, will open tomorrow in the Packington Estate, off Packington Street, which is currently undergoing a massive redevelopment following a decision to demolish the site over safety concerns.
The Packing up Packington exhibition, consisting of life-size portraits of the residents of Packington coupled with video interviews, will give the public a brief opportunity to glimpse into their lives as they move from their old condemned flats into brand new homes.
Ms Janke, who is also a resident of Packington estate, said: “From the outside, Packington may have appeared a monstrous maze of ugly flats and corridors harbouring a bad reputation, but for most of us it has been our home and the basis of our community.
“By giving an intimate glimpse into life in our multi-cultural community, I hope to challenge this prejudice and I want to show the human side of the estate.
You may also want to watch:
“More than anything, I want to bring residents together, tell our stories and preserve our history as we all share in this transition.”
The Packington regeneration is a 10-year £170m project which plans to have the residents of Packington Square moved into their brand new homes by the middle of 2016.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 9 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 10 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire