Player of season award for Arsenal’s Stenson
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Young Arsenal goalkeeper Fran Stenson has been voted as Blackburn Rovers’ young player of the year for the 2019-20 season.
Rovers announced their award winners on Monday evening and the young stopper was commended after an impressive side with the Lancashire club.
Stenson spent the campaign on loan from Arsenal and helped Gemma Donnelly’s team finish seventh in their debut season in the FA Women’s Championship.
She made her second Rovers debut in the game against Aston Villa at Villa Park in September after having a previous loan spell with the club in 2018-19.
The 19-year-old, who has played for England at youth level, is currently the back-up to Manuela Zinsberger at the Gunners due to the departure of French keeper Pauline Peyraud-Magnin.
You may also want to watch:
Stenson made nine league appearances for Blackburn and kept clean sheets against Durham and Crystal Palace to help record their first two Championship victories.
She has also already made her debut in the top flight as she came on as a second-half substitute for Ann-Katrin Berger in Birmingham City’s 2–1 win over Everton during her time in the Midlands.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 'I was not jealous': MP Claudia Webbe denies harrasment charge
- 8 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 9 Islington dog stars in film that will be shown at London Film Festival
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
That subsequently attracted interest from Manchester City who she joined in 2018 before Arsenal made their move and brought the highly rated Stenson to north London in August 2019.