Plea for ‘Boris Bikes’ to be wheeled out across Islington
Fresh calls have been made for the “Boris Bikes” hire scheme to be extended to the north of the borough.
An opposition councillor wants to see the cycle docking stations introduced in areas such as Finsbury Park, Upper Holloway, Tufnell Park and Archway.
They are already a familiar sight in the southern end of Islington.
Cllr Greg Foxsmith, Lib Dem transport spokesman, said: “It’s madness that we are an inner London borough but we are so poorly served by it.
“Other boroughs are doing far more to have the scheme in their area but Islington is at risk of being left behind.
You may also want to watch:
”It would be a fitting Olympic legacy if Islington and Transport for London could announce this year the expansion of the scheme across the borough.”
A spokesman for TfL suggested north Islington residents shouldn’t hold their breath as the next priority is expanding the scheme in the west of the capital.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 3 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey