Plea for ‘Boris Bikes’ to be wheeled out across Islington
Fresh calls have been made for the “Boris Bikes” hire scheme to be extended to the north of the borough.
An opposition councillor wants to see the cycle docking stations introduced in areas such as Finsbury Park, Upper Holloway, Tufnell Park and Archway.
They are already a familiar sight in the southern end of Islington.
Cllr Greg Foxsmith, Lib Dem transport spokesman, said: “It’s madness that we are an inner London borough but we are so poorly served by it.
“Other boroughs are doing far more to have the scheme in their area but Islington is at risk of being left behind.
You may also want to watch:
”It would be a fitting Olympic legacy if Islington and Transport for London could announce this year the expansion of the scheme across the borough.”
A spokesman for TfL suggested north Islington residents shouldn’t hold their breath as the next priority is expanding the scheme in the west of the capital.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller