Plea for ‘Boris Bikes’ to be wheeled out across Islington
Fresh calls have been made for the “Boris Bikes” hire scheme to be extended to the north of the borough.
An opposition councillor wants to see the cycle docking stations introduced in areas such as Finsbury Park, Upper Holloway, Tufnell Park and Archway.
They are already a familiar sight in the southern end of Islington.
Cllr Greg Foxsmith, Lib Dem transport spokesman, said: “It’s madness that we are an inner London borough but we are so poorly served by it.
“Other boroughs are doing far more to have the scheme in their area but Islington is at risk of being left behind.
You may also want to watch:
”It would be a fitting Olympic legacy if Islington and Transport for London could announce this year the expansion of the scheme across the borough.”
A spokesman for TfL suggested north Islington residents shouldn’t hold their breath as the next priority is expanding the scheme in the west of the capital.
- 1 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 2 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 3 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 4 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 5 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 6 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 7 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 8 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 9 Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall visits the Whittington Hospital
- 10 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital