Alex Vanderpuye: Police appeal for witnesses of fatal stabbing to come forward
- Credit: Archant
One year on from the fatal stabbing of a 24-year-old man in South Hackney, detectives are urging witnesses to come forward and assist their investigation.
Alex Vanderpuye collapsed in Cassland Road, at the junction of Christie Road, a year ago today. He died at the scene.
A post-mortem examination gave his cause of death as a stab wound. But 12 months on his killer is still walking free.
Det Insp John Marriott, from the Met’s murder squad, who is leading the investigation, said: “We are still very keen to hear from anyone who has information, or any witnesses who might have seen something.
“This attack took place at a time when lots of people would have been around - Hackney is a busy, vibrant borough.
You may also want to watch:
“We know that some of Alex’s friends were with him at the time and we are also directly appealing to them to ask them to come forward as we believe they have vital information.
“We are also looking for anyone who may have seen or heard anything in the vicinity of Christie Road at the junction with Cassland Road from around the 4.30pm on that day - Thursday, December 7.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man in court over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
“Alex left behind his father and an older brother and they deserve justice.”
Cops believe the suspects –a group of men – arrived in a metallic green mercedes. This vehicle was subsequently recovered.
Officers arrested three males on suspicion of murder on December 12 last year. The three men, aged 26, 21 and 25, were released under investigation.
Five further men were also arrested on suspicion of murder before being released under investigation.
Anyone who witnessed this incident or has information should contact the incident room on 020 8345 3715, or make contact via Twitter @MetCC. Alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.