Police car smash knocks out lights at Angel junction
An unmarked police car smashed into a lamppost and knocked the lights out at one of Islington’s busiest junctions on Friday night.
The Ford Mondeo hit the lamppost when a Citroen crashed into its side, after it raced into the junction of Upper Street, Pentonville Road and City Road with its lights flashing, at around 10pm.
The traffic light pole was seen doubled over after the impact.
Richard Roberts, manager of The Angel pub, a few feet from the crash in Upper Street, said: “It knocked the traffic lights down and knocked the lights out. They had to direct traffic for a couple of hours.
“It was an unmarked police car, which are often flying around here. It had its lights flashing – that’s how we knew it was a police car. Everyone ran out of the pub.
“They eventually let the other car go, and nobody was hurt.”
Police cordons were in place and there were traffic tailbacks for more than an hour.
- 1 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 2 Shell casings found after Islington gun reports
- 3 Covid patients in north London hospitals with Plan B rules set to lift
- 4 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 5 Emma Thompson and Sir Ian McKellen line up to play Whodunnit detectives
- 6 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 7 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 8 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 9 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 10 Freud's Last Session: King's Head Theatre *****
Police said the car was on a routine patrol and not answering an emergency call. No-one was arrested.