Police car smash knocks out lights at Angel junction
An unmarked police car smashed into a lamppost and knocked the lights out at one of Islington’s busiest junctions on Friday night.
The Ford Mondeo hit the lamppost when a Citroen crashed into its side, after it raced into the junction of Upper Street, Pentonville Road and City Road with its lights flashing, at around 10pm.
The traffic light pole was seen doubled over after the impact.
Richard Roberts, manager of The Angel pub, a few feet from the crash in Upper Street, said: “It knocked the traffic lights down and knocked the lights out. They had to direct traffic for a couple of hours.
“It was an unmarked police car, which are often flying around here. It had its lights flashing – that’s how we knew it was a police car. Everyone ran out of the pub.
“They eventually let the other car go, and nobody was hurt.”
Police cordons were in place and there were traffic tailbacks for more than an hour.
- 1 Hit Brighton food hall operator to open Upper Street venue
- 2 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 3 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 4 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 5 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 6 Homes under the Planner: Schemes submitted or approved in Islington in June
- 7 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 8 Siblings open community-oriented park coffee hut
- 9 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
Police said the car was on a routine patrol and not answering an emergency call. No-one was arrested.