Police car smash knocks out lights at Angel junction
An unmarked police car smashed into a lamppost and knocked the lights out at one of Islington’s busiest junctions on Friday night.
The Ford Mondeo hit the lamppost when a Citroen crashed into its side, after it raced into the junction of Upper Street, Pentonville Road and City Road with its lights flashing, at around 10pm.
The traffic light pole was seen doubled over after the impact.
Richard Roberts, manager of The Angel pub, a few feet from the crash in Upper Street, said: “It knocked the traffic lights down and knocked the lights out. They had to direct traffic for a couple of hours.
“It was an unmarked police car, which are often flying around here. It had its lights flashing – that’s how we knew it was a police car. Everyone ran out of the pub.
You may also want to watch:
“They eventually let the other car go, and nobody was hurt.”
Police cordons were in place and there were traffic tailbacks for more than an hour.
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 4 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 5 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 6 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 9 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 10 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
Police said the car was on a routine patrol and not answering an emergency call. No-one was arrested.