Police car smash knocks out lights at Angel junction
An unmarked police car smashed into a lamppost and knocked the lights out at one of Islington’s busiest junctions on Friday night.
The Ford Mondeo hit the lamppost when a Citroen crashed into its side, after it raced into the junction of Upper Street, Pentonville Road and City Road with its lights flashing, at around 10pm.
The traffic light pole was seen doubled over after the impact.
Richard Roberts, manager of The Angel pub, a few feet from the crash in Upper Street, said: “It knocked the traffic lights down and knocked the lights out. They had to direct traffic for a couple of hours.
“It was an unmarked police car, which are often flying around here. It had its lights flashing – that’s how we knew it was a police car. Everyone ran out of the pub.
You may also want to watch:
“They eventually let the other car go, and nobody was hurt.”
Police cordons were in place and there were traffic tailbacks for more than an hour.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 9 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 10 Heartbreak for Team GB as Australia end Olympic dream
Police said the car was on a routine patrol and not answering an emergency call. No-one was arrested.