Police chase ends with driver crashing into car and traffic lights in Essex Road
- Credit: Photographic and Imaging Unit
A police chase started in Hackney and ended when a driver crashed into another car and hurtled into traffic lights in Essex Road last night.
Cops on patrol in Hackney signalled for a driver to stop at about 9.35pm in Richmond Road - but when the car sped off they gave chase.
After smashing into the Essex Road traffic lights, the driver ran off. But, after "a short foot chase", officers arrested someone in connection to the incident.
A Met Police source said: "He was arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply cannabis and driving offences and taken into custody where he remains."
One Twitter user, John J O'Sullivan, who witnessed some of the incident, wrote: "Police chase! It's all happening in Islington... BMW driver crashed into traffic light, airbag. Then peep ran. Armed Police chased and left their car. Drama alert!". But a Met Police source said firearms officers were not involved.
You may also want to watch:
Did you see what happened? Contact Lucas at the Gazette newsdesk on 07785 616244 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
- 10 Islington is getting a big name restaurant