Police have ‘grave concerns’ about St John Street Chinese takeaway’s licensing bid
- Credit: Archant
A Chinese takeaway boss has applied for late-night licence after operating for a year without one – and claiming he had no idea.
Zekair Herar told police that when he took over Yum Yum in St John Street his solicitor said it came with a 3am licence. But in fact the licence had been surrendered in 2013. After submitting an application to vary the venue’s licence he soon learned the truth.
Police officer Steven Harrington said he had “grave concerns” about Mr Herar in a report to the town hall: “I appreciate that Mr Herar was paying for best advice from his solicitor but I am astonished he has never taken the time to read a copy of the licence, if there was one, and if he did not have a copy then why has he not contacted the council?”
He goes on to say he has asked for details of Mr Herar’s experience in the trade, having been told he ran a venue in Wesminster that Westminster’s licensing team had “not heard of”.
The meeting will take place on Tuesday next week.