Police wake up entire Holloway street at 3am...to return wandering toddler to parents
- Credit: Archant
Baffled Holloway residents were woken up by police shouting through a megaphone at 3am today.
A three-year-old girl had “toddled” into the care of officers in the Tollington Way area.
Deciding to take a proactive approach using the megaphone in a police van, the tactic worked as she was returned safe and well to her parents. It is not known how she ended up on the streets.
Michelle Wood, 30, of nearby Sussex Way, was woken up when the van patrolled her street and said: “It was really strange to hear at 3.20am. I’ve never experienced anything like it.
“I looked out the window and saw a van with blue flashing lights and a voice on a megaphone saying something along the lines of: ‘This is the police. A little girl has been found wandering on the streets. Check to see if your children are home as a matter of urgency.’
You may also want to watch:
“I think it was really sad that someone was going through that, but I’m happy to be woken up in those circumstances.”
Another woman, who lives in Tollington Way but didn’t wish to be named, said: “It was really unexpected. All of a sudden there was a loud noise from the police going back and forth around Tollington Way.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 6 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 9 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
“They were asking for parents to check for their children in their house. Thankfully, they were found. I am grateful the police communicated it on Twitter!
“It was a very weird experience.”