Popham Estate: ‘Locked gate is blocking potential fire escape’
- Credit: Archant
A tenant is at her wits’ end over a locked gate which she believes could be a vital fire exit.
Adelaide Guedes lives in the Popham Estate off New North Road. The outdoor gate was closed a couple of years ago.
She said: “If these flats catch fire, that should be one of the fire exits. Why would they lock something that was meant to be open anyway?
“People who live in these flats only have one route to access Popham Road. Everyone has been left adrift.”
Islington housing leader Cllr Diarmaid Ward explained: “We take the safety and security of people living on our estates very seriously. This gate was closed to stop non-residents from walking through the estate, after concerns about anti-social behaviour.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re very happy to meet with this resident and discuss their concerns, and will contact them to set up a meeting.”
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'