Popham Estate: ‘Locked gate is blocking potential fire escape’
- Credit: Archant
A tenant is at her wits’ end over a locked gate which she believes could be a vital fire exit.
Adelaide Guedes lives in the Popham Estate off New North Road. The outdoor gate was closed a couple of years ago.
She said: “If these flats catch fire, that should be one of the fire exits. Why would they lock something that was meant to be open anyway?
“People who live in these flats only have one route to access Popham Road. Everyone has been left adrift.”
Islington housing leader Cllr Diarmaid Ward explained: “We take the safety and security of people living on our estates very seriously. This gate was closed to stop non-residents from walking through the estate, after concerns about anti-social behaviour.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re very happy to meet with this resident and discuss their concerns, and will contact them to set up a meeting.”
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 3 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 8 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 9 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern