Popham Estate: ‘Locked gate is blocking potential fire escape’
- Credit: Archant
A tenant is at her wits’ end over a locked gate which she believes could be a vital fire exit.
Adelaide Guedes lives in the Popham Estate off New North Road. The outdoor gate was closed a couple of years ago.
She said: “If these flats catch fire, that should be one of the fire exits. Why would they lock something that was meant to be open anyway?
“People who live in these flats only have one route to access Popham Road. Everyone has been left adrift.”
Islington housing leader Cllr Diarmaid Ward explained: “We take the safety and security of people living on our estates very seriously. This gate was closed to stop non-residents from walking through the estate, after concerns about anti-social behaviour.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re very happy to meet with this resident and discuss their concerns, and will contact them to set up a meeting.”
- 1 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street forces Moorfields Eye Hospital to close
- 2 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 3 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 4 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 5 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 6 Controversial plan to sell alcohol in Finsbury Park dropped
- 7 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash
- 8 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 9 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 10 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?