Poppy Appeal box stolen from Newington Green bakery
- Credit: Archant
Staff and customers at a Newington Green bakery are “disgusted” after its Poppy Appeal collection box was stolen on Friday.
The thief struck at Jesshops Bakers, on Newington Green Road, at around 10.30am. Owner Ken Jesshop estimated the box had around £50 in.
He is now planning to make the money back by selling 100 poppy cup cakes for £1 each on Saturday. A temporary replacement box has also been set up in the shop.
Mr Jesshop, 74, said: “Words can’t describe it. It’s disgusted all of our customers, who have been looking at the replacement box in astonishment. All the staff are seriously upset. It’s ridiculous, absolutely disgraceful.
“We don’t know the circumstances. It was tied to the counter with a piece of string and the next minute, our staff realised it had gone.
You may also want to watch:
“We are only a small shop and we don’t have CCTV, so we have no idea who did this.”
He added: “The Poppy Appeal was so well publicised last year and seemed to get a new lease of life – then this happens. With the poppy cup cakes, hopefully we will more than make up what we lost.”
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension