Poppy Appeal box stolen from Newington Green bakery
- Credit: Archant
Staff and customers at a Newington Green bakery are “disgusted” after its Poppy Appeal collection box was stolen on Friday.
The thief struck at Jesshops Bakers, on Newington Green Road, at around 10.30am. Owner Ken Jesshop estimated the box had around £50 in.
He is now planning to make the money back by selling 100 poppy cup cakes for £1 each on Saturday. A temporary replacement box has also been set up in the shop.
Mr Jesshop, 74, said: “Words can’t describe it. It’s disgusted all of our customers, who have been looking at the replacement box in astonishment. All the staff are seriously upset. It’s ridiculous, absolutely disgraceful.
“We don’t know the circumstances. It was tied to the counter with a piece of string and the next minute, our staff realised it had gone.
You may also want to watch:
“We are only a small shop and we don’t have CCTV, so we have no idea who did this.”
He added: “The Poppy Appeal was so well publicised last year and seemed to get a new lease of life – then this happens. With the poppy cup cakes, hopefully we will more than make up what we lost.”
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'