Popular Holloway pub The George is closing down
- Credit: Archant
It’s not just Arsene Wenger leaving Islington at the end of the season.
On Monday, three days after Mr Wenger’s departure was announced, popular Arsenal pub The George announced it is closing.
The pub, in Eden Grove, just around the corner from Holloway Road station, will shut at the end of May.
Landlord Peter Mara joked: “It’s quite the parallel with Arsene’s departure, but unfortunately I won’t be getting his pension.”
Asked why the pub is closing, Peter said: “It’s a combination of things. The lease is up, the pub trade is really hard at the moment and I have been here for 27 years – so it’s time to call it a day.
You may also want to watch:
“The George has been a huge chunk of my life and central to the community: weddings, funerals, christenings and Arsenal. It’s going to be a sad day when we close.”
Peter said the pub has been going for about 100 years. It’s unknown what the building owner plans to do with the site.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal