Popular Holloway pub The George is closing down
- Credit: Archant
It’s not just Arsene Wenger leaving Islington at the end of the season.
On Monday, three days after Mr Wenger’s departure was announced, popular Arsenal pub The George announced it is closing.
The pub, in Eden Grove, just around the corner from Holloway Road station, will shut at the end of May.
Landlord Peter Mara joked: “It’s quite the parallel with Arsene’s departure, but unfortunately I won’t be getting his pension.”
Asked why the pub is closing, Peter said: “It’s a combination of things. The lease is up, the pub trade is really hard at the moment and I have been here for 27 years – so it’s time to call it a day.
You may also want to watch:
“The George has been a huge chunk of my life and central to the community: weddings, funerals, christenings and Arsenal. It’s going to be a sad day when we close.”
Peter said the pub has been going for about 100 years. It’s unknown what the building owner plans to do with the site.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 5 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 6 Why Arsenal's Leah Williamson is perfect England captain?
- 7 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 10 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers