Popular Holloway pub The George is closing down
- Credit: Archant
It’s not just Arsene Wenger leaving Islington at the end of the season.
On Monday, three days after Mr Wenger’s departure was announced, popular Arsenal pub The George announced it is closing.
The pub, in Eden Grove, just around the corner from Holloway Road station, will shut at the end of May.
Landlord Peter Mara joked: “It’s quite the parallel with Arsene’s departure, but unfortunately I won’t be getting his pension.”
Asked why the pub is closing, Peter said: “It’s a combination of things. The lease is up, the pub trade is really hard at the moment and I have been here for 27 years – so it’s time to call it a day.
“The George has been a huge chunk of my life and central to the community: weddings, funerals, christenings and Arsenal. It’s going to be a sad day when we close.”
Peter said the pub has been going for about 100 years. It’s unknown what the building owner plans to do with the site.
- 1 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
- 2 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 3 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 4 'Fear, isolation and distress': Pentonville Prison during Covid-19
- 5 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 6 WATCH: Sauna fire rips through Old Street leisure centre
- 7 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 8 How mental health services are changing in north London
- 9 'Robot' prisoner locked up indefinitely for killing Serco custody officer
- 10 Protesters march in final attempt to prevent incinerator contract