Pothole free Islington? FoI stats suggest borough has some of London’s smoothest roads
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Islington has some of the best roads in London, according to new Freedom of Information (FoI) data.
The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) asked each London borough how many pothole complaints they received last year – and Islington had one of the lowest levels recorded (136), with only Kensington and Chelsea (42), Lewisham (35) and Lambeth (13) outranking it.
Islington also paid more than any London borough for vehicle damage caused by potholes, with £63,796 distributed between 13 successful claimants.
Sue Terpilowski OBE, FSB London policy chair, said: “Potholes are not only a danger to road users, they cause costly repairs, traffic congestion and bottlenecks, leading to consequent disruption to trading for our smaller businesses and the self-employed [...]
“Highways maintenance needs to be a priority for our councils, to keep the road network moving for our small businesses in the city.”
You may also want to watch:
St John Street is recorded as the worst road in Islington for pothole complaints last year. It spent £109,968 on road repairs over this period.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother