Pothole free Islington? FoI stats suggest borough has some of London’s smoothest roads
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Islington has some of the best roads in London, according to new Freedom of Information (FoI) data.
The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) asked each London borough how many pothole complaints they received last year – and Islington had one of the lowest levels recorded (136), with only Kensington and Chelsea (42), Lewisham (35) and Lambeth (13) outranking it.
Islington also paid more than any London borough for vehicle damage caused by potholes, with £63,796 distributed between 13 successful claimants.
Sue Terpilowski OBE, FSB London policy chair, said: “Potholes are not only a danger to road users, they cause costly repairs, traffic congestion and bottlenecks, leading to consequent disruption to trading for our smaller businesses and the self-employed [...]
“Highways maintenance needs to be a priority for our councils, to keep the road network moving for our small businesses in the city.”
You may also want to watch:
St John Street is recorded as the worst road in Islington for pothole complaints last year. It spent £109,968 on road repairs over this period.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 4 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 5 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 6 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 7 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 8 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 9 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 10 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up