Proposal to axe fire engines is “incredibly dangerous”
- Credit: Archant
A proposal to axe 13 fire engines across the capital including one engine in Holloway will “put people’s lives at risk”.
Paul Embery, London Fire Brigade’s (LFB) regional secretary, has issued the warning ahead of a consultation’s closing date on February 1.
Last week, firefighters and the public gathered to hear and share views on how LFB will attempt to meet the £ 6.4m of budget savings demanded by the Mayor of London Boris Johnson for 2016/17.
Mr Embery said: “We (The Fire Brigade Union) are completely opposed to the scrapping of any fire engines, it’s an incredibly dangerous proposal.
“Losing the engines is going to put people’s lives at risk and people are going to die as a result.”
At the meeting in Stratford last Wednesday, head of the fire brigade Ron Dobson defended his preference to axe the engine in Holloway, along with 12 others across the capital.
Mr Dobson maintained that the 13 engines affected had already been out of action for two-and-a-half years – and therefore the change wouldn’t have any impact on response times.
- 1 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 2 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 3 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 4 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 5 More than 18,000 Covid breach fines issued by Met during lockdowns
- 6 Replacement Finsbury Park leisure centre a step closer
- 7 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 8 How many alcohol-related fires were there in your borough last year?
- 9 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 10 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
He said: “I know it’s been a time of uncertainty.
“Unfortunately having them back wouldn’t give the certainty. The only way to give back certainty is not to give them back at all.”
Mr Embery has described Mr Dobson’s comments as “stupid” and “ridiculous”.
He added: “The idea that not bringing back engines will provide certainty or aid the safety of the public is stupid and ridiculous.
“It’s not a belief that anyone on the frontline in the fire service supports.”
Mr Embery believes the borough has already been disproportionately affected after the capital lost 10 stations, 14 engines and 600 frontline jobs back in 2014.
He said: “The data shows that after the cuts in 2014, response times went up across London so further cuts will only makes things harder and reduce public safety.
“I am going out to meetings everyday to speak to firefighters and they are clear that the fire engines should not be axed, they understand that losing them will severely impact public safety.”
An alternative proposal set out by Andrew Dismore AM, chair of the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority’s Resource Committee, looks to make the savings by changing working patterns and through back office efficiencies.
People are now being urged to have their say before next Monday when the consultation closes at 5pm.
You can have your say by visiting http://bit.ly/lfepa-have-your-say.