Protests over proposed Archway betting shop
A new betting shop that could be approved in Archway has got a 1,000 strong residents’ group hot under the collar.
The Better Archway Forum, based in Hargrave Park Community School, Bredgar Road, have objected to a planning application to turn a gambling arcade on Junction Road into a betting shop.
The group have been joined by Cllr Janet Burgess, who represents Junction ward, in opposing the application.
They would prefer a cafe or a delicatessen and are concerned about anti-social behaviour.
The Better Archway Forum conducted a customer count of the premises when it was previously operating and found just 10 customers using the business in 13-and-a-half hours on a Friday.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the group said: “Given the low levels of custom it is not clear how they can be profitable. Even more puzzling is how such businesses are able to spend thousands at appeal.”
Cllr Burgess said: “It’s such a shame that it couldn’t be some kind of retail.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man in court over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
“They’re are too many betting shops, they are everywhere. There is a lot of deprivation in this area and we know the people more likely to go into betting shops are normally those who can’t afford to waste a few quid.”