Protests over proposed Archway betting shop
A new betting shop that could be approved in Archway has got a 1,000 strong residents’ group hot under the collar.
The Better Archway Forum, based in Hargrave Park Community School, Bredgar Road, have objected to a planning application to turn a gambling arcade on Junction Road into a betting shop.
The group have been joined by Cllr Janet Burgess, who represents Junction ward, in opposing the application.
They would prefer a cafe or a delicatessen and are concerned about anti-social behaviour.
The Better Archway Forum conducted a customer count of the premises when it was previously operating and found just 10 customers using the business in 13-and-a-half hours on a Friday.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the group said: “Given the low levels of custom it is not clear how they can be profitable. Even more puzzling is how such businesses are able to spend thousands at appeal.”
Cllr Burgess said: “It’s such a shame that it couldn’t be some kind of retail.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 8 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
“They’re are too many betting shops, they are everywhere. There is a lot of deprivation in this area and we know the people more likely to go into betting shops are normally those who can’t afford to waste a few quid.”