‘Put out your cigarettes’ – fire chiefs’ warning after Holloway flat blaze

The fire in a Holloway block was caused by a cigarette not being put out. Picture: @LondonFire

The fire in a Holloway block was caused by a cigarette not being put out. Picture: @LondonFire - Credit: Archant

Firefighters are urging people to make sure they put out their cigarettes properly after a flat fire in Holloway.

Crews were called to Cornwallis Square just before 6.55am yesterday after a blaze damaged a room in a first floor property.

Fire investigators believe it was caused by a cigarette.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "If you smoke it is vitally important you stub it right out, preferably in an ashtray.

"Always ensure your cigarette is completely out when you've finished smoking it. If you don't, you risk causing a fire as you don't know what it may land on which could potentially start a fire."


You may also want to watch:


The fire was under control in an hour. Crews from Holloway, Kentish Town, Islington and Hornsey attended.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter