Rainbow crossing placed outside Arsenal Tube in support of anti-homophobia campaign
- Credit: Transport for London
A rainbow zebra crossing has appeared outside Arsenal Tube station to support a national anti-homophobia football campaign.
The crossing, organised by Transport for London (TfL), will be in place until Sunday as part of the Rainbow Laces campaign by leading gay equality charity, Stonewall, which aims to kick homophobia out of football.
Richard Lane, Stonewall Media Manager, said: “We’re delighted that Transport for London is backing gay football fans and players by throwing their weight behind the #RainbowLaces campaign.
“We’ve been overwhelmed by the positive support from individuals and organisations who are all keen to kick homophobia out of our national game.”
Thousands of football fans are expected to cross the rainbow outside the station’s entrance tomorrow when they arrive in Islington for one of the biggest premiership clashes of the season as Arsenal take on Manchester City.
You may also want to watch:
The campaign will see footballers across the country wearing rainbow coloured laces on their boots when they take to the pitch this weekend,
TfL has its own lesbian, gay, bisexual and transexual (LGBT) network which is actively involved in community events and projects celebrating the diversity of staff, customers and families.
- 1 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 2 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 3 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 4 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 5 Islington's John Ryder heads to Texas for big fight
- 6 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash
- 7 Row over ‘underhanded’ approach derails Amazon Fresh store opening
- 8 Highbury restaurant joins 'recipes against racism' campaign
- 9 Arsenal midfielder Jill Roord reported to be on Wolfsburg's radar
- 10 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
Martyn Loukes, Chair of TfL’s LGBT+ Network, said: “We are delighted to support Stonewall’s Rainbow Laces campaign.
“We hope that by installing a rainbow crossing, a symbol of diversity across the world, outside one of our busiest Tube stations we will create further awareness for the campaign.”