Rainbow crossing placed outside Arsenal Tube in support of anti-homophobia campaign
- Credit: Transport for London
A rainbow zebra crossing has appeared outside Arsenal Tube station to support a national anti-homophobia football campaign.
The crossing, organised by Transport for London (TfL), will be in place until Sunday as part of the Rainbow Laces campaign by leading gay equality charity, Stonewall, which aims to kick homophobia out of football.
Richard Lane, Stonewall Media Manager, said: “We’re delighted that Transport for London is backing gay football fans and players by throwing their weight behind the #RainbowLaces campaign.
“We’ve been overwhelmed by the positive support from individuals and organisations who are all keen to kick homophobia out of our national game.”
Thousands of football fans are expected to cross the rainbow outside the station’s entrance tomorrow when they arrive in Islington for one of the biggest premiership clashes of the season as Arsenal take on Manchester City.
You may also want to watch:
The campaign will see footballers across the country wearing rainbow coloured laces on their boots when they take to the pitch this weekend,
TfL has its own lesbian, gay, bisexual and transexual (LGBT) network which is actively involved in community events and projects celebrating the diversity of staff, customers and families.
- 1 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 2 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 6 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 7 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 Finsbury Park to get its own Pokémon-GO style story
- 10 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
Martyn Loukes, Chair of TfL’s LGBT+ Network, said: “We are delighted to support Stonewall’s Rainbow Laces campaign.
“We hope that by installing a rainbow crossing, a symbol of diversity across the world, outside one of our busiest Tube stations we will create further awareness for the campaign.”