Ramsey: Arsenal must stay focused, find consistency
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Aaron Ramsey says Arsenal need to remain focused and find some consistency after their stunning Europa League win over AC Milan.
The Welsh international scored the second goal in a 2-0 success at the San Siro, after Henrik Mkhitaryan had opened his Arsenal account in their last-16 first-leg tie.
And 27-year-old Ramsey admitted it felt good to end their four-game losing run in such impressive style.
He told arsenal.com: “A lot of people are always going too talk, it’s their job to talk and it’s just important for us to keep focused and try to improve and try to work hard through the week.
“We know what we’re capable of doing, we just have to try and produce that more consistently. It’s just nice that we’ve managed to turn a little corner and get a good result.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve been on a bad run and sometimes, as hard as you try on the pitch, it doesn’t seem to work.
“But we’ve trained hard, we’ve tried to do the right things and we know what we’re capable of doing in the dressing room. We showed that.”
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 9 Heartbreak for Team GB as Australia end Olympic dream
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
Arsenal came under some early pressure from an AC Milan team unbeaten in their last 13 matches under new boss Gennar Gattuso.
But having not conceded a goal for six matches, they saw Mkhitaryan fire home in the 15th minute with the aid of a deflection, before Ramsey ran on to a superb Mesut Ozil through ball and waltzed around keeper Gianluigi Donnarumma to slot into an empty net in first-half stoppage time.
That took Ramsey’s tally to seven goals this season and 54 in total for Arsenal in 319 appearances since his £5million move from Cardiff City in 2008.
He added: “We played very well in the first half. We created many opportunities and we moved the ball well, got a couple of goals.
“We showed that we’ve got plenty of characters in this team. It’s never easy to come to the San Siro and play AC Milan, I know that from previous experience.
“Second half we wanted to protect it a bit more and we kept a clean sheet, which is always important. I’m really pleased we came here and got the win. All in all, it was a good night’s work.”