Restauarant Review: Meatballs, EC1
The name of this Farringdon eatery gives a healthy clue as to the contents of the kitchen.
Meatballs is housed in a fantastically retro Grade II listed venue complete with wooden pews, hanging lamps and black and white checked tiles.
It used to be a working chop house dating back to the 1870s and the Victorian d�cor certainly adds to the atmosphere.
The menu is short and to the point and lends itself well to a quick bite rather than a three- course banquet.
All balls are served in batches of three, then you order some carbohydrates to go underneath and sides as required.
You may also want to watch:
There is a very well stocked bar – the cocktails looked great and the Merlot we had came at a nice temperature with a peppery, moreish taste.
Meatball wise, there is quite a range and the guest balls change regularly.
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 2 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 7 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 8 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
We chose the beef and ricotta, which came in a rich bolognaise sauce; the chicken, served with a tangy caper and lemon sauce, and the Greek lamb balls in a yoghurt sauce, all of which were meaty and satisfying.
On the side, our creamed spinach was a treat, the peas tasty and the chicken and bacon salad very pleasant.
Our food came out in record time as well, making Meatballs a great choice for a tasty, quick, reasonably priced meal.