Restaurant review: Coco Bamboo, NW1
Undiscovered gem with Caribbean haute cuisine
Prior to this meal, my only experience of Coco Bamboo was staggering in for a late drink on a work night out in Camden.
So in my mind’s eye it has always been a bar, possibly one that serves the odd snack. This is definitely the wrong way round – the food is fantastic. This is not to disparage the drinks though. Our carpriahanis were strong, crisp and delicious, and there were plenty of inventive flavours, like chilli and berries.
The dining area, up the stairs away from the bar, was pretty well full when we visited on a Tuesday night.
Though the decor is fairly basic, there is a lovely-looking roof terrace – but it was far too cold for that caper on our visit.
The best way to describe the food is Caribbean haute cusine – my ackee and saltfish was very well presented, a neat aray of fish in the centre with individual fruit placed outside. It tasted great, but probably a bit blander than the street food variety.
- 1 Missing: 29-year-old Islington woman found 'safe and well'
- 2 Appeal hearing of MP Claudia Webbe gets under way
- 3 Ex Arsenal player Lee Harper appeals for return of stolen shirt
- 4 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 5 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 6 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 7 40 firefighters called to scene as Highbury flat damaged
- 8 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 9 Gunners pub back open for Premier League climax
- 10 New cabinet announced for Islington Council
My girlfriend had the gumbo which was truly excellent – a lively mixture with a strong coriander character and big chunks of spicy sea food. Suffice to say I was jealous.
For mains, we had a platter apiece. The meat for her, which was a huge dish including chicken wings, big ribs and a tender chargrilled picanha steak all smothered in a zingy barbecue sauce served with sweet potato chips. I went for the seafood variety, which was very good indeed. Succulent scallops, an absolutely massive prawn, tilapia and snapper, all in a light, but very well flavoured, butter sauce.
Coco Bamboo is an undiscovered gem offering quality food and drinks. I shall return.