Restaurant review: The Blue Legume, N8
Wide range of food perfect for group of friends
The Blue Legume – a favourite with many who have sampled its menu in Islington and Stoke Newington – has decided to venture further west to open its latest branch.
More specifically to a little corner of Crouch End where its arrival appears to have been welcomed by locals, who trickled in throughout the evening for a mix of drinks – of the non-alcoholic kind – and dinner on a sunny Wednesday evening.
It was easy to see what was attracting them. The bright interior and friendly staff are an immediate draw and, of course, the menu.
Its wide range – including a notable number of vegetarian options – means it is unlikely a group of friends would not be able to find something they fancied.
As someone with a number of vegetarian friends, this would probably make it top of my list of choices for a group dinner, not least because it is somewhere to come when you want to while away a couple of hours over a nice, sociable meal – it is certainly not fast food. Do not expect to be in and out within half an hour. This, for the record, is no negative point.
Unfortunately, my (small) negative point was probably the food which was – and it pains me to say this – a little bland in places.
- 1 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 2 Plea date set for man accused of Sabita Thanwani killing
- 3 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 4 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 5 International food festival coming to Islington this month
- 6 'Mistrust and fear' of services fuelling Islington BAME employment gap, research finds
- 7 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 8 O2 Centre climb: Entertaining with fantastic panoramic views of London
- 9 Young stars of the design world celebrated at awards
- 10 Call to get vaccinated amid Covid surge
My mixed meze starter – enough for two – was nice and fresh, but nothing out of the ordinary. My friend’s chorizo and halloumi was a little dry but quite tasty. Both were beautifully presented.
The stuffed aubergine with roasted vegetables, rice and salad was absolutely lovely – apart from the lack of dressing on my salad. My friend was impressed by the size of his steak and the quality of chips but disappointed by the sauce, which was not overly tasty.
We both agreed afterwards a little more dressing, a little more seasoning and it would have been an almost perfect meal.