Review: Dogs Don’t Do Ballet at the Little Angel Theatre
Productions at the Little Angel Theatre are always a delight, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard so much children’s laughter ringing out around the converted chapel as at Dog’s Don’t Do Ballet.
Based on a book by Anna Kemp, it follows Biff, a dog who will not conform to stereotypes – and has a penchant for ballet.
He pursues this passion despite disapproval from his owner’s ballet teacher, much to the delight of the youngsters in the audience.
A cast of just two take on the acting and puppetry roles with comedic finesse. Ronnie Le Drew makes a charmingly batty ballet teacher along the lines of Edna Everage, while Andrea Sadler is equally humorous as his downtrodden sidekick Marjorie.
The pair give alll the puppets a life of their own, from the line of ballerinas doing their exercises to Biff the dog, as he dons a tutu and barks to the moon.
You may also want to watch:
As ever, the set is very clever, helping one scene to blend seamlessly into the next, from the kennel to the ballet school to the Royal Ballet’s stalls.
There is slapstick humour as well as some beautifully poignant moments and great songs. Well worth seeing to fire your little ones’ imagination.
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 5 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 6 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 10 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat
* Until January 27 at the Little Angel Theatre in Dagmar Terrace, N1. Tickets �10 for adults and �8 children, call the box office on 020 7226 1787 or visit www.littleangeltheatre.com.