Rising Asian star is on his way to Arsenal
ARSENAL are believed to have concluded a deal to bring Japanese teenage sensation Ryo Miyaichi to the Emirates. Miyaichi, 17, was on trial with the Gunners in August and played in a pre-season friendly game with the Gunners reserve side. He did enough to
ARSENAL are believed to have concluded a deal to bring Japanese teenage sensation Ryo Miyaichi to the Emirates.
Miyaichi, 17, was on trial with the Gunners in August and played in a pre-season friendly game with the Gunners' reserve side.
He did enough to impress the club's coaches and Arsene Wenger, and the Gunners boss has made an offer to sign the young striker in the January transfer window.
The player was recommended to Wenger by one of his scouts at last year's Under-17 World Cup in Nigeria, and the Gunners boss invited him over for a trial during which time he played in the 3-0 win at Boreham Wood on August 3.
You may also want to watch:
Miyaichi, who can play as a striker or on either flank, is still at high school in Japan, but will turn 18 in December at which stage he will be allowed to join a professional club.
Dutch giants Ajax were also monitoring his progress but Arsenal have won the race and Miyaichi admitted this week: "Mr Wenger told me that Arsenal is my home and I that should learn some English and come back soon
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 4 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 5 Joe Montemurro says he expects Vivianne Miedema to stay at Arsenal
- 6 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 9 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 10 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
"It was difficult to choose between Arsenal and Ajax, but Arsenal wanted me the most."
Meanwhile Gunners defender Thomas Vermaelen has admitted that captain Cesc Fabregas told his team-mates he wanted to quit the club for Barcelona at the end of last season.
The Gunners resisted all of Barcelona's advances over the summer, including a �30m bid, to keep hold of their 23-year-old captain for at least another year.
But Fabregas told Spanish media over the weekend that Arsenal had not allowed him to leave, and that fact was confirmed by Belgian defender Vermaelen this week.
"Cesc carries Barcelona in the heart, in his DNA, therefore it is impossible for him to forget about them," said Vermaelen.
"He was determined to go to Barca last summer, he more or less confessed it in the dressing room. But that is passed history.
"Now is 100 per cent ready to put his all in to a great season with Arsenal."
Vermaelen and Fabregas are among the 16 Arsenal players who were on international duty over the past week, and Wenger is sweating on all of them returning fit for Saturday's clash with Bolton at the Emirates.
The Gunners will be looking to continue their unbeaten start to the season, and then begin their Champions League campaign next Wednesday when Portuguese side Braga arrive in Islington.