Rival petitions in booze battle over Holloway newsagent
NEARLY 100 people have signed a petition against a newsagent’s plan to sell alcohol – but almost 80 more say they do want to be able to buy booze with their newspapers.
Scores of residents have lodged their opposition to the application submitted by Cardwell News, in Cardwell Terrace, Holloway, to sell alcohol between 7am and 8.15pm.
And seven residents and business owners have personally written to Islington Council urging it to refuse the request, which goes before a licensing committee today (Thursday). Many voiced fears that a second off-licence in Cardwell Terrace would encourage loitering and drinking around the street’s benches, just outside the shop – an area they say is already beset by nuisance youths.
One resident wrote: “Young people congregate in the area and drink from beer cans, and often this goes on until late in the evening. The next morning the area is often strewn with empty beer cans. A second alcohol outlet will only exacerbate the problem of delinquency, nuisance and litter.
“The shop is a popular sweetshop frequented by school children, including my young son,” they added. “I am seriously concerned that the sale of alcohol in a shop serving children is failing to protect children from the influences of alcohol.”
You may also want to watch:
Another concerned resident wrote: “The area has had problems with teenagers and underage drinking. Allowing another outlet for alcohol is encouraging them to drink and not deterring them.”
But 78 people have signed an alternative petition supporting the shop’s application.
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 4 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 5 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 6 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 9 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 10 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
Cardwell News was not available for comment.