Road users set for months of disruption as Thames Water replace Upper Street pipe
- Credit: Archant
Road users are braced for three months of disruption in Islington while Thames Water replaces the water main that burst in December.
From Wednesday, Islington High Street, between Liverpool Road and City Road, will be closed southbound to all traffic, as will Liverpool Road, from Tolpuddle Street to Upper Street.
Roads are expected to be busier than normal while the closures are in place, especially during peak hours. Transport for London (TfL) has warned of delays in Canonbury Road and New North Road in particular.
Southbound traffic will also be diverted at Highbury Corner, with drivers and cyclists urged to take alternative routes such as the A10 or A503.
Access to Upper Street will be maintained and diversion routes will be signposted. Southbound buses will be on the diversion and a free shuttle bus, 530, will run daily between stop M on Holloway Road and Angel Tube station.
You may also want to watch:
Cyclists going down Upper Street will be diverted via Duncan Street and Colebrooke Row, while riders in Liverpool Road will be instructed to go down Tolpuddle Street and Penton Street.
Thames Water are set to finish work in Essex Road, Islington Green and Upper Street tomorrow, though workers will need to return to Essex Road again at a future date.
For full details, click here.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020