Road users set for months of disruption as Thames Water replace Upper Street pipe
- Credit: Archant
Road users are braced for three months of disruption in Islington while Thames Water replaces the water main that burst in December.
From Wednesday, Islington High Street, between Liverpool Road and City Road, will be closed southbound to all traffic, as will Liverpool Road, from Tolpuddle Street to Upper Street.
Roads are expected to be busier than normal while the closures are in place, especially during peak hours. Transport for London (TfL) has warned of delays in Canonbury Road and New North Road in particular.
Southbound traffic will also be diverted at Highbury Corner, with drivers and cyclists urged to take alternative routes such as the A10 or A503.
Access to Upper Street will be maintained and diversion routes will be signposted. Southbound buses will be on the diversion and a free shuttle bus, 530, will run daily between stop M on Holloway Road and Angel Tube station.
You may also want to watch:
Cyclists going down Upper Street will be diverted via Duncan Street and Colebrooke Row, while riders in Liverpool Road will be instructed to go down Tolpuddle Street and Penton Street.
Thames Water are set to finish work in Essex Road, Islington Green and Upper Street tomorrow, though workers will need to return to Essex Road again at a future date.
For full details, click here.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 10 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers