Rogue landlord fined for fire safety breaches at Newington Green flat
- Credit: Archant
A rogue landlord was who breached fire safety regulations and neglected to carry out proper repairs was fined £12,400 at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ on May 16.
David Simons was found guilty of failing to comply with an Improvement Notice at the same court on April 11.
An environmental health officer inspected Flat C, 98 Petherton Road, after a neighbour complained. They found four unrelated inhabitants sharing a kitchen and bathroom - making the property a house in multiple occupation (HMO).
The flat didn't have a mains wired smoke alarm system, or a fire door to the kitchen, as required by HMO licencing. There was also a poorly repaired kitchen window.
The officer used an Improvement Notice, telling Mr Simons to fix these problems and provide an Electrical Installation Condition Report.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Simone committed to carrying the works out, but when the officer returned on two occasions they hadn't happened.
In sentencing on May 16, costs of £600 were awarded with a victim surcharge of £175.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 9 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 10 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
Islington's housing chief Cllr Diarmaid Ward said: "Everyone has the right to a safe, genuinely affordable home and we will not tolerate dodgy operators taking advantage of people's desperate need for a home. Where we find unacceptable conditions we will act to protect tenants."