Roundhouse closure a blow for community
IT was with great concern that I read about the perilous state of the Highbury Roundhouse. This building is of vital importance to the community, providing services to young people, disabled people, the elderly as well as providing the opportunities for s
IT was with great concern that I read about the perilous state of the Highbury Roundhouse. This building is of vital importance to the community, providing services to young people, disabled people, the elderly as well as providing the opportunities for sports and exercise.
I am concerned as to how the building was allowed to get to the point where the council had to suddenly shut down part of the site, suggesting it was in danger of falling down.
Many people rely on the services provided at this centre and any change in venue will cause considerable disruption.
With the threat of cuts to such community services in the future, I fear that this sort of scenario is only going to become more common.
You may also want to watch:
"Big Society" may sound like a great idea on paper, but the reality is that the local people who benefit from these services, and the volunteers who support them, can't be expected to find the sort of money to engage in major structural work.
Councillor Paul Convery may be talking about a permanent replacement building, but how many years and how much money will that take? Surely this is a classic scenario where prevention would have better than cure. - Caroline Allen, Islington Green Party, Peacock Place, N1.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 3 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 4 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 5 Former Islington BC Slavisa Gegic fighter visits his old club
- 6 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 7 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 8 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 9 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 10 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket