Roundhouse closure a blow for community
IT was with great concern that I read about the perilous state of the Highbury Roundhouse. This building is of vital importance to the community, providing services to young people, disabled people, the elderly as well as providing the opportunities for s
IT was with great concern that I read about the perilous state of the Highbury Roundhouse. This building is of vital importance to the community, providing services to young people, disabled people, the elderly as well as providing the opportunities for sports and exercise.
I am concerned as to how the building was allowed to get to the point where the council had to suddenly shut down part of the site, suggesting it was in danger of falling down.
Many people rely on the services provided at this centre and any change in venue will cause considerable disruption.
With the threat of cuts to such community services in the future, I fear that this sort of scenario is only going to become more common.
"Big Society" may sound like a great idea on paper, but the reality is that the local people who benefit from these services, and the volunteers who support them, can't be expected to find the sort of money to engage in major structural work.
Councillor Paul Convery may be talking about a permanent replacement building, but how many years and how much money will that take? Surely this is a classic scenario where prevention would have better than cure. - Caroline Allen, Islington Green Party, Peacock Place, N1.
- 1 Reality TV star's brother ‘wasn't involved in drug-trafficking’, murder trial hears
- 2 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 3 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 4 Festive events lined up for Islington this Christmas
- 5 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 6 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 7 Poorer households in Islington could see council tax cut
- 8 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 9 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 10 Scandinavian primary school moves to bigger premises in Highbury