Royal Wedding bashes to take place across Islington
ISLINGTON is bracing itself for a day of revelry as Prince William and Kate Middleton get ready to tie the knot.
Residents in all corners of the borough will be coming together to celebrate the couple’s nuptials with a spate of street and estate bashes.
Bunting, bouncy castles and cake stands will be seen from Archway to Holloway and Newington Green, as communities take advantage of the extra bank holiday to enjoy the royal occasion in style.
Islington Council has given out �2,700 in grants to people putting on events, while Homes for Islington is lending tables, chairs and barbecues to several estates.
Councillor Catherine West, leader of Islington Council, said: “Many people in our community will be celebrating the Royal Wedding and we are supporting the hard work they’ve put in.
You may also want to watch:
“As well as the grants, we scrapped our charges for road closures to cut out red tape and bureaucracy and make it easier for Islington people to put on street parties.
“Thanks to the efforts of so many residents in Islington, the stage is set for a day to remember.”
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 7 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 8 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 9 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
- 10 Two Tube lines closed after 10pm as TfL staff isolate due to Covid
Royal Wedding community parties are set to take place in:
- Arlington Square, Islington
- Barnsbury Park, Barnsbury
- Goodinge Close, Holloway
- Grove Estate, off Cornelia Street, Holloway
- Harberton Road, Archway
- Hawthorne Close, off Kingsbury Road, Newington Green
- New Orleans Estate, off Hornsey Rise,
- Parkview Estate, off Highbury New Park, Highbury
- Quick Street, Islington
- Rosemary Gardens, Islington
- St John’s Villas, Archway
- Waterlow Road, Archway
- Wolsey Road, Newington Green
Primary school pupils will also be getting in on the act. Today St John Evangelist Catholic Primary School, in Duncan Street, Islington, is hosting a Royal Wedding picnic, while children at Thornhill Primary School, in Thornhill Road, Islington, will be decorating the school with 300 flags and hosting a tea party. Pupils at Canonbury Primary School, in Canonbury Road, Canonbury, will also be joining the festivities today.
And there could be more raucous celebrations in store for patrons of the Bavarian Beerhouse, in City Road, Finsbury, who will be treated to a Kate and William lookalike contest tomorrow evening, while Club to Fromage at the O2 Academy Islington, at the N1 Centre, Upper Street, will be throwing a Royal Wedding-themed fancy dress party on Saturday night.