Arsenal legend Ian Wright hails French starlet Matteo Guendouzi
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Arsenal legend Ian Wright has praised youngster Matteo Guendouzi following the Gunners’ 2-0 home defeat to Manchester City.
The highly-rated 19-year-old Guendouzi arrived in North London fromn Lorient in the summer.
The Frenchman impressed in pre-season in Singapore and Dublin, earning his starting place in Unai Emery’s first Premier League game in charge on Sunday.
Despite Arsenal’s defeat, former Gunner Wright hailed Guendouzi’s in his newspaper column.
“He found it tough going at times against City but what impressed me was his attitude and effervescence.
You may also want to watch:
“It would have been easy to hide but he was still demanding the ball, still showing and still battling to the end.”
The former French U18 starlet had the most touches for his side against the champions, as well as the most attempted passes. He was also fouled more time than any other Arsenal player during the match against Pep Guardiola’s side.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 10 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
Guendouzi’s encouraging performance saw Wright describe his play as the ‘biggest positive of all’ in Arsenal’s defeat.