Arsenal legend Ian Wright hails French starlet Matteo Guendouzi
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Arsenal legend Ian Wright has praised youngster Matteo Guendouzi following the Gunners’ 2-0 home defeat to Manchester City.
The highly-rated 19-year-old Guendouzi arrived in North London fromn Lorient in the summer.
The Frenchman impressed in pre-season in Singapore and Dublin, earning his starting place in Unai Emery’s first Premier League game in charge on Sunday.
Despite Arsenal’s defeat, former Gunner Wright hailed Guendouzi’s in his newspaper column.
“He found it tough going at times against City but what impressed me was his attitude and effervescence.
You may also want to watch:
“It would have been easy to hide but he was still demanding the ball, still showing and still battling to the end.”
The former French U18 starlet had the most touches for his side against the champions, as well as the most attempted passes. He was also fouled more time than any other Arsenal player during the match against Pep Guardiola’s side.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 8 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
Guendouzi’s encouraging performance saw Wright describe his play as the ‘biggest positive of all’ in Arsenal’s defeat.