School lunch serves up a smile
SCHOOL dinners can sometimes be grim and cheerless affairs – but Hungerford Primary School in Hungerford Road, Holloway, has undergone a mini-revolution to bring smiles back to lunchtime.
SCHOOL dinners can sometimes be grim and cheerless affairs - but Hungerford Primary School in Hungerford Road, Holloway, has undergone a mini-revolution to bring smiles back to lunchtime.
The dining room has been smartened up with tablecloths, proper plates and fruit juice instead of water.
The kids have longer to spend over lunch, they often eat with the teachers and the food counters have been lowered so the children can see what is on offer.
Actor and local resident Siobhan Hayes - Abi in BBC sitcom My Family - made an appearance to see the difference for herself.
You may also want to watch:
Siobhan, whose mother works at the school, said: "It is great of them to make it more sociable. The kids look like they are enjoying themselves. When I was at school all the food seemed to come in massive steel containers, but here everything looks fresh."
Pupil Ronnie Ewens, six, said: "The food is delicious. I used to have packed lunch but I prefer school dinners."
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 4 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 5 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 6 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 7 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 8 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 9 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 10 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
Amy Vo, eight, added: "I like school dinners, they are delicious. I am eating cheese and egg - it's good!"
Headmaster Brian Bench said the changes, funded by the North Road Community Fund, were meant to re-create the family-style dinners.
He said: "That is what so many don't have. You can see the difference in their smiles.