School lunch serves up a smile
SCHOOL dinners can sometimes be grim and cheerless affairs – but Hungerford Primary School in Hungerford Road, Holloway, has undergone a mini-revolution to bring smiles back to lunchtime.
SCHOOL dinners can sometimes be grim and cheerless affairs - but Hungerford Primary School in Hungerford Road, Holloway, has undergone a mini-revolution to bring smiles back to lunchtime.
The dining room has been smartened up with tablecloths, proper plates and fruit juice instead of water.
The kids have longer to spend over lunch, they often eat with the teachers and the food counters have been lowered so the children can see what is on offer.
Actor and local resident Siobhan Hayes - Abi in BBC sitcom My Family - made an appearance to see the difference for herself.
You may also want to watch:
Siobhan, whose mother works at the school, said: "It is great of them to make it more sociable. The kids look like they are enjoying themselves. When I was at school all the food seemed to come in massive steel containers, but here everything looks fresh."
Pupil Ronnie Ewens, six, said: "The food is delicious. I used to have packed lunch but I prefer school dinners."
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
Amy Vo, eight, added: "I like school dinners, they are delicious. I am eating cheese and egg - it's good!"
Headmaster Brian Bench said the changes, funded by the North Road Community Fund, were meant to re-create the family-style dinners.
He said: "That is what so many don't have. You can see the difference in their smiles.