Seventeen officers quizzed over death of Islington man who stopped breathing after police restraint

PUBLISHED: 14:36 12 August 2013 | UPDATED: 14:36 12 August 2013

Aberdeen Park in Highbury was closed for several hours after the incident on Tuesday, March 12

Aberdeen Park in Highbury was closed for several hours after the incident on Tuesday, March 12


Fifteen officers have been interviewed under criminal caution over the death of a man restrained by police outside an Islington hostel, it emerged today.

Darren Neville, 28, was handcuffed and leg restraints applied after police were scrambled to an incident in Aberdeen Park, Highbury, in March.

He remained in hospital for nearly two months after the restraint and died in May.

A probe launched by police watchdog the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has now interviewed the officers under caution – the procedure for situations where a crime may have been committed.

A further two officers were probed under what the watchdog terms “misconduct interviews” only – where there is no indication an officer may have committed a crime.

An IPCC spokesman today said: “In June and July IPCC investigators conducted interviews with 17 Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) officers in connection with the investigation surrounding the restraint of Darren Neville on March 12, 2013.

“The IPCC’s investigation is examining the events leading up to the police being called and the actions and decision of officers who attended this incident from 7am.

“Fifteen interviews were carried out under criminal caution. The remaining two were misconduct interviews only. Notices served on the officers remain subject to continuous review.

“The investigation is continuing and the IPCC remains in regular contact with Mr Neville’s family.”

Emergency services had been called in March to a hostel in Aberdeen Park where Mr Neville was reportedly threatening to kill staff.

Police arrived to find the 28-year-old bleeding from injuries believed to have been caused by him smashing through a downstairs door or window. He was restrained but stopped breathing.

A Met spokesman at the time said the restraint was for “officers’ and the public’s safety”.

The IPCC are still calling for witnesses who should call 0800 096 9076 or e-mail with information.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Islington Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Islington Gazette