Shellshocked Arsene Wenger insists Arsenal can compete with Bayern Munich – despite another 5-1 hammering to lose Champions League tie 10-2 on aggregate
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A shellshocked Arsenal Wenger claimed his team can compete with Bayern Munich – moments after another 5-1 humiliation in the Champions League which saw them bundled out of Europe a staggering 10-2 on aggregate.
Wenger was asked why chief executive Ivan Gazidis insisted three years ago Arsenal could compete with the likes of Munich – when all the evidence after 180 minutes against the Bundesliga giants pointed to the contrary.
The long-serving Frenchman, under pressure like never before in his two decades at the club was defiant.
He answered: “We can compete with Bayern Munich.
“The referee killed the game. It was scandalous. We were denied a penalty when we were 1-0 up.
You may also want to watch:
“Then he changed his mind and sent Koscielny off after awarding a penalty. It changed the game.
“After that it is an impossible situation when you are chasing the game.”
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Islington shooting victim named
- 5 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 8 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
When asked if he would manage the North Londoners in the Champions League again after their exit tonight he was noncommittal answering: “I don’t know. I am interested in football not in headlines.
“I felt we played with spirit and pride.”
He was then asked what he thought had to change at Arsenal. He visibly bristled before saying: “What do you mean by that?
“We need to win the next game that is what needs to change”, before conceding, “We are in a difficult period but we must take it on the chin. I will take a lot of criticism but it doesn’t change my mind.”